Friday, December 24, 2010
Finished art and design of the January issue of A Sandusky Bay Journal on their Sherlock Holmes feature.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
With the December issue of A Sandusky Bay Journal, I make my return as the regular artist on their Sherlock Holmes feature.
Here is the finished art with a cameo appearance by the Ghost from Teeth "I Dig Your Grave!"
Monday, November 01, 2010
Press Release - Palicki and Greulich Show Their TEETH
Palicki and Greulich Show Their TEETH
For immediate Release
TOLEDO, OHIO –
Eric Palicki and J. Christopher Greulich are pleased to introduce Thiess, a very different kind of werewolf. Thiess is set to star in TEETH, a self-published comics mini-series slated for release in 2011.
“TEETH was inspired by an actual historical account of a werewolf in Europe during the 17th century,” says Palicki, who scripted the series. “During his inquisition, Thiess claimed that he and other werewolves were the ‘hounds of God,’ demon hunters who often did battle with the Devil himself. TEETH finds a fictionalized Thiess still alive today, still a hound of God, still fighting demons.”
The creators hope to raise funds through Kickstarter.com to produce and self-publish the first issue of TEETH, and they are making limited edition ashcans, posters and signed comics available to donors. In addition, the creators have made a one-page sequential story – “I Dig Your Grave!” – available to online readers.
Those interested in learning more can find the Kickstarter project at http://kck.st/a1nWLP. Writer Eric Palicki maintains a blog and a webcomics catalog at www.ericpalicki.com. Illustrator J. Christopher Greulich maintains his online portfolio at fadingsunstudio.blogspot.com.
Eric Palicki Writer 419.450.1817
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
01. Receive script from Eric Palicki, my partner in crime.
02. Read over Eric’s script. Make any notes on the script I need to, i.e. setting and costume reference needed.
03. Thumbnail sketch for layout. I do my thumbnails in a variety of ways, depending on the day. These were rendered in ballpoint pen and grayscale Prismacolor markers @ 5.5x8.5 size. That’s about three times larger than normal for me, but it was that kind of day.
04. Send Thumbnails to Eric for approval.
05. Pencils. These are rough layouts. If I am inking my own project, I do not complete full pencils. This allows me to be more “fresh” with my ink lines.
06. Inking. I have used a variety of materials to ink with over the years. Again, it all comes down to the day or the project. Most of my work over the past five years has consisted of a combination of a black Staedtler Mars Graphic 3000 Duo Watercolor Brush Marker and a full range of Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens and brush markers.
07. Colors. I have colored using just about any art tool I have had my hands on. Thought I color mostly on the computer these days, my favorite way to color is a hybrid of watercolors and the computer. Here I used Dr. Ph. Martin's: Watercolor Dyes and Photoshop.
08. Lettering. I letter in Illustrator, for the most part. I have used other programs for special effects on various occasions.
For the complete lettered story, visit Eric’s site:
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Friday, September 24, 2010
TEETH is an ambitious comics project written by Eric Palicki (www.ericpalicki.com) and illustrated by J. Christopher Greulich (www.fadingsunstudio.blogspot.com). TEETH seeks to explore the supernatural elements of dark fantasy and horror fiction from a historical perspective and to reclaim those elements, to some degree, from the clutches of TWILIGHT. For those already familiar with mainstream comics, TEETH will be similar to the DC Comics/Wildstorm series Planetary in execution.
A historical account of an alleged werewolf provided the initial kernel of inspiration for TEETH. From Wikipedia: "A notable exception to the association of Lycanthropy and the Devil, comes from a rare and lesser known account of an 80-year-old man named Thiess. In 1692, in Jurgenburg, Livonia, Thiess testified under oath that he and other werewolves were the Hounds of God. He claimed they were warriors who went down into hell to do battle with witches and demons."
TEETH re-imagines Thiess as an immortal, still alive in the present, still a ‘Hound of God,’ still doing battle with demons and witches. Thiess carries the burden of almost 400 hundred years’ worth of history and myth. TEETH will explore the myriad ways in which history and myths are seamlessly connected.
The creators intend to produce at least six issues of TEETH. Kickstarter will be used to fund production costs only for the first issue.
Kickstarter support will cover the following expenses:
1. Art supplies (paper, ink, etc.) for the production of a five-page prologue/preview story and the first 22-page issue of the projected six-issue series.
2. A professional colorist and a professional letterer to provide finishes over J. Christopher Greulich’s linework for the first 22-page issue of TEETH.
3. A full-color print run of TEETH #1. The size of the print run will be determined largely by Kickstarter pledges.
4. Production of a limited number of ‘ashcan’ comics, which will include an exclusive 5-page preview/prologue story, and posters, to be used for promotional purposes at conventions and online.
Project location: Toledo, OH
Eric Palicki lives and writes in Toledo, Ohio. His previous webcomics work includes THE UNDERTAKER'S DAUGHTER. That's Eric in the profile picture, looking appropriately grizzly.
J. Christopher Greulich lives and draws in Central Ohio. His work has appeared in Shadowline Comics' NIGHTMARE WORLD, collaborating with writer/creator Dirk Manning. J. Christopher has a lifelong fascination with werewolves. ericpalicki.com
Pledge $1 or more
"Team Jacob" - Everyone who pledges will receive three exclusive 1-page TEETH comics stories. These stories will be arrive by email. The files will be of print-quality resolution and suitable for framing.
Pledge $10 or more
"Daniel 'Oz' Osbourne" - Receive the reward listed above and a copy of TEETH #1, autographed by both writer and artist.
Pledge $15 or more
"Jack Russell (Jacob Russoff)" - Receive the rewards listed above and a copy of the script for issue #1, autographed by the writer.
Pledge $20 or more
LIMITED REWARD 200 of 200 remaining
"Eddie Quist" - Receive the rewards listed above and a limited edition, signed & numbered promotional chapbook/'ashcan' containing an exclusive 5-page TEETH prologue story.
Pledge $25 or more
LIMITED REWARD 100 of 100 remaining
"Bigby Wolf" - Receive the rewards listed above and a limited edition, signed & numbered promotional poster.
Pledge $100 or more
LIMITED REWARD 10 of 10 remaining
"David Kessler" - Receive the rewards listed above and have your likeness drawn as a minor character in TEETH #1.
Pledge $400 or more
LIMITED REWARD 5 of 5 remaining
"Larry Talbot" - Receive the rewards listed above and receive a page of original art from TEETH #1. (The page you receive will be at the artist's discretion.)
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Sunday, August 01, 2010
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Friday, July 09, 2010
Tuesday, July 06, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Friday, June 11, 2010
Friday, May 21, 2010
Friday, May 14, 2010
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Monday, May 10, 2010
Sunday, May 09, 2010
Saturday, May 01, 2010
Friday, April 30, 2010
Friday, January 01, 2010
12x18(Original B&W Illustration)
Ink, High Contrast photo collage, Zip-a tone on Illustration Board.
11x17(Final Painted Illustration)
Ink, Wash, Prisma Color Marker, Acrylics, Pencil and Digital on Canvas.
Welcome to 2010. This is my first illustration of the new year. I will be over hauling this site in the near future, and invite you all back to check on new works as they are completed.
In addition to updates here, you can visit the site for my new project with writer Dan Kuntz:
Thank you for your interest,
.j. christopher greulich